(Click on the picture to view the bigger image)

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Burden Bearer

Horse-drawn CarriageCanon EOS 350D, f/5.6, 1/50 sec

"After they had eaten and drunk in Shiloh, Hannah stood up not far from Eli, the priest: his seat was beside the doorpost of Yahweh's house. Deeply distressed she wept and prayed to Yahweh and made this vow, 'O Yahweh of hosts, if only you will have compassion on your maidservant and give me a son, I will put him in your service for as long as he lives and no razor shall touch his head.'

"As she prayed before Yahweh, Eli observed the movement of her lips. Hannah was praying silently, she moved her lips but uttered no sound and Eli thought Hannah was drunk. He, therefore, said to her: 'For how long will you be drunk? Let your drunkenness pass.' But Hannah answered: 'No, my lord, I am a woman in great distress, not drunk. I have not drunk wine or strong drink, but I am pouring out my soul before Yahweh. Do not take me for a bad woman. I was so afflicted that my prayer flowed continously.' Then Eli said, 'Go in peace and may the God of Israel grant you what you asked for.' Hannah answered, 'Let your maidservant deserve your kindness.' Then she left the temple and when she was at table, she seemed a different woman.

"Elkanah rose early in the morning and worshiped before Yahweh with his wives. Then they went back home to Ramah. When Elkanah slept with his wife, Hannah, Yahweh took compassion on her, and she became pregnant. She gave birth to a son and called him Samuel because she said: 'I have asked Yahweh to give him to me.'"

1 SAMUEL 1:9-20

"Lord, Your yoke is easy and Your burden is light
as I come close to You."



<<PREV | HOME | NEXT>>

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home